Directory software is a tool used to manage and build an online directory or or listing website. It includes member listings, map views, photo galleries, contact listings, classifieds, articles, events, and other uses.
There are 4 types of directory software
- HTML – Structure and database hand coded
- SCRIPT – Purchase script software and install
- CMS (+ Theme + Plugins) – Content management system (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal) install + plugins.
- LDAP – Lightweight Directory Access Protocol – Purchase and build
Scroll down for expanded description
There are many directory types requiring unique software:
- Business Listings
- Member directory
- Searchable Directory
- Classified Advertising
- Events Calendar
- Photo Galleries
- Deals & Offers
- Blogging System
- Email Marketing
- Membership Directory
- Recurring Payments
- Banner Advertisements
- Lead Generation
- Design & Branding
- Source Code Access
- HTML website – design and build the website, database, backend
This is the hardest of the 4 options as the website is built from the ground up by an experienced webmaster/programmer.
Hosting and domain name required.
A pre-made script is purchased, unzipped and uploaded to the web space. When the script is run, it installs the required files that manage a web directory including front end pages (web directory), backend (admin) pages and other required files.
- PhpMyDirectory – (from $140) Built using PHP and MySQL, phpMyDirectory can be used to create websites focused on a business directory, classifieds, link indexing and more! Choose either a one-time (owned) cost or a hosted ongoing monthly plan.
- directorylister.com – (Open Source: free) Directory Lister is a simple PHP based script created to let you list the contents of a directory and all it’s sub-directories and allow you to navigate there within. Just download and install Directory Lister to any web directory and have immediate access to all files and sub-directories under that directory.
- Crowd Vox (from $250) PHP directory script that will help you create a professional looking directory website without writing a single line of code.
- PHP Link Directory (PhpLD) (from $25) – these guys have been around forever (and it looks like it). Basic code that works, themes will few frills.
- Osclass – (Free) Build your own website and start advertising real estate, jobs or whatever you want – in minutes.
- ESyndiCat ($199) – With a large and highly customisable set of key features coupled with a standards compliant interface, eSyndiCat Directory Software has been chosen by thousands of webmasters all over the world.
- Evoluted – highly configurable script, allowing you to simply upload one file into a web-accessible directory, and it’ll be turned into a well formatted, mobile friendly directory browser.
Hosting and domain name required
CMS (Content Management System)
This method requires cms software and theme to be installed (self-hosted) and then configured.
The 3 best known CMS platforms are open source, free to download and install. There are thousands of themes and plugins available for each one including directory software.
Another feature of a CMS is that it provides an attractive website. Independent pages can be easily added along with a host of other features including blog pages, testimonials, seo functions, shopping cart, security and many others.
- WordPress (*) offers an unlimited range of themes and plugins to achieve every outcome.
- Joomla – is the mobile-ready and user-friendly way to build your website. Choose from thousands of features and designs. Joomla! is free and open source.
- Drupal – Launch, manage, and scale ambitious digital experiences—with the flexibility to build great websites or push beyond the browser.
After the CMS is installed, a directory theme or plugin is installed to add appearance and functionality
- Theme – there are many themes (templates) that provide full directory functionality along with a professional appearance.
- Plugin – provides only the directory functionality and output (not appearance)
Hosting and domain name required
* We are big raps for WordPress whether it be themes or plugins:
LDAP (Online) Directory
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol is the easiest and most expensive option.. sign up, pay and commence building the directory.
The software, website and administration is fully hosted utilizing shared software meaning resources and software is shared by multiple users.
LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is an application protocol for querying and modifying items in directory service providers like Active Directory, which supports a form of LDAP. Short answer: AD is a directory services database, and LDAP is one of the protocols you can use to talk to it.
In no particular order..
- www.edirectory.com – eDirectory is the leading online directory software. From US$99.00month
- www.marketgrabber.com – Create a revenue generating online. ONE-TIME PAYMENT US$499.00 LIMITED TIME OFFER – US$349.30!
- www.brilliantdirectories.com – Huge suite of directories type from US$90.00month
- All-In-One Directory – Templatic directory software is designed with flexibility in mind. From US$79.00month
- www.360directories.com – 360Directories is a proven directory software for local web, mobile and app directories. Pricing varies depending on the amount of data
- www.wildapricot.com – for building and managing any sort of online directory or listing website. From US$160.00month
LPAD platforms dominate search results for “directory” with commercial advertising (Google Adwords + Microsoft Advertising)