Whether you are a web designer, developer, webtentrapeur, the Step by Step plan has the same path.
- Basic understanding of the topic
- Agreement of direction and goals
- Software selection and installation
- Population and configuration
- Launch and marketing
Commence by answering these questions:
- What topic will the directory cover?
- How will traffic be generated to the directory?
- What is the revenue model?
- How will the directory be populated?
- Who will maintain the directory?
A web designer / developer needs this information in order to quote, as well as ultimately answer questions in later steps.
- Software cost
- Domain name cost
- Hosting cost
- Installation cost
- Configuration cost
- Create category levels, tree, data and contenting costs
- Listing types, payment structures, email and messaging
- Create pages and content (About, Contact)
- Maintenance costs
- Time frame/s
Step 1 – Understanding the market
Research the directory topic. Find 25+ web sites that specialise in the topic. Find 10+ directories that cover the same topic.
How will the directory generate a revenue?
- Listing sales
- Affiliation revenue including listings and shops
We provide a detailed explanation of revenue models in Directory GoPro.
Before considering software, there must be an understanding of the directory requirements and goals.
For example: if it is an Automotive Directory, there are bespoke themes and plugins available for automotive directories.
Step 2 – Software
Select the software for the directory. Software includes web site files, software, scripts, plugins. themes, hosting and domain name.
Directory Software Choices
- HTML web site – design and build the web site, database, backend (hosting required)
- Script – Purchase script software and install (hosting required)
- CMS + Plugin / Theme – select a CMS (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal), install (hosting required) + plugins.
- LDAP – select and purchase
We provide a detailed explanation of the choices in Directory GoPro.
Step 3 – Hosting & Domain Name
- Register a domain name
- Secure hosting (if required)
Step 4 – Build the directory / tree structure
- Top level categories with sub levels
- Directory Map
Step 5 – Populate the directory
- Add listings (free of charge) to populate the directory.
- Advertisers’ will be attracted to an operational directory that has listings
- Create pages including About Us, Advertising Sales, Advertising T&C, Contact Us, Site Map, Privacy, Website T&C, FAQ, Disclaimer
- Add a search mechanism