Software and platforms are now used for much more than simple tree structure directories.
Software is designed specifically for a type of project or adapted to suit a project.
Software platform choices
*Some themes require a plugin
Directory Software Categories
- Business Directory
- Food & Drink
Specialised Directory Software
– Sales & Classifeds
- City Guides & Places
- Coupons & Discounts
- Food – Restaurant & Delivery
- Hotel & Accommodation
- Image and photography
- Jobs – Recruitment & Career
- Law – Lawyer & Solicitor
- List – used for a wide variety of projects
- Marketplace – sales, classifieds
- Medical – Practice & Healthcare
- Pets & Animals
- Producers and Retailers
- Real Estate – Property Sales & Rental
- Reviews – product and services
- Social – Networks
- Travel & Trip
Multi Purpose Software
Most software use very similar structures. Multi purpose software can be adapted to almost any need.
- Bespoke Directory
- General Listings
What to look for when buying directory software?
- Theme Overview – is the description in good English and make sense
- Preview – can you see a working preview of the software
- Portfolio* – see live examples of the software
- Sales, Reviews & Ratings
- Dates – when was the software created and last updated
- Compatibility – will it work with your software
- Author* – Inspect their credentials
- Page Loading – designs that look amazing often take forever to load
Up until now (2017) very few developers of directory software make public a portfolio of their customers.
That leaves us to consider why not?
- Is the author (creator/designer) experienced?
- Have they created other software
- Can they be contacted*
* Ask a question and gauge the response (time and information)
The qualifications and experience of the user. Who will be using the software, populating and maintaining it?
- Experienced web software
- Developing and code